Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) Do I need an appointment? Prom shoppers do not require an appointment. However, all customers need an appointment for alteration services.
2) How soon do I need to place my order for___? (One of the most important and difficult to answer questions in the prom industry!) Order times vary by manufacturer and product type. Prom dresses are manufactured in specific quantities and sold until they are gone. If they are sold out there are NO re-orders. Sometimes a prom style can be available in one size and color, and not another. For example, we can get a red size 10 but a blue size 8 is completely sold out. Lastly, the availability of prom dresses changes constantly. If we tell you there are 5 red size 8’s in style #1000 available, that doesn’t mean you can come back in 3 weeks and expect to order the dress. It could be sold out by close of business today. If you would be heartbroken if you couldn’t get the dress, order it NOW!
3) You measured me for my dress, so will I need alterations? An Emmy’s associate will measure you and discuss with you the size that is best for you to order. The majority of customers will require some alterations as the dresses are not custom made, and even the correct size will probably need some adjustment to achieve the desired fit.
4) Do I have to get my dress altered at Emmy’s if I purchase it there? No, Emmy’s has a full service alteration department available to do your alterations at reasonable rates if you prefer. However, you are welcome to take your purchase to the seamstress of your choice for alterations.
5) What should I bring to my alteration appointment? You will need the shoes, bra (if needed; sew in bra cups are available for $15), and any special undergarments you plan to wear with your dress for the fitting to be accurate. Extra charges may result from fittings done without the proper accessory items.
6) How much will alterations cost? Emmy’s charges by the work done, please ask for a quote at your fitting.
7) How much of a deposit will I have to put down on my dress? Emmy’s asks for a 60% deposit on all dress purchases for the order to be placed.
What forms of payment do you accept? Emmy’s accepts cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
9) When does my dress need to be paid off? Your purchase needs to be paid off 30 days after it arrives in the store, or before alterations begin, whichever is sooner. All merchandise must be paid in full to leave the store.
10) Will I get my deposit back if I want to cancel my order? No, we cannot return merchandise to the manufacturers we order from; therefore we will have to pay for it and are unable to return deposits. The only exception is if Emmy’s is unable to fulfill the order due to the manufacturer being sold out.
11) When will my order be placed? Single orders are placed the next business day after the transaction. Some are placed immediately on-line with the manufacturers that offer that service.
12) I saw a gown from one of the companies you carry that I like but you don’t have it in the store. Can I still order it from you? Emmy’s can order any gown from the manufacturers and divisions we represent, even if the sample is not in the store. Please ask for more information about specific merchandise. All special orders are final sales. Gowns are NOT ordered in on approval.
13) I am very tall, can I get extra length? No, unfortunately prom dresses do not offer the extra length options offered by bridal dress lines. Some styles and manufacturers run longer than others and certain trends, like the high-lo hemline, work very well for our tall customers.
14) Do I have to pick up my dress as soon as it comes in? Emmy’s will store your purchase at no charge until alterations are complete. We ask you to take your dress home at your final fitting.
15) What happens when my dress comes in? We will call you when your dress arrives and ask you to make a fitting appointment if necessary. We strongly advise you to make an appointment to come in and see your dress and try it on even if you plan to have it altered elsewhere. Emmy’s makes every effort to double check orders and dresses upon arrival, but rarely there may be a flaw we are unaware of until the dress is tried on. The sooner these are caught, the better able we are to find a solution to the problem.